Thursday, December 28, 2017

2018 - My Word for the Year




My story is important
Not because it is mine….
but because if I tell it anything like right,
the chances are you will recognize
that in many ways it is yours
Maybe nothing is more important
Than that we keep track you and I,
Of the stories of who we are
And where we have come from
And the people we have met along the way.
Because it is precisely through these stories
And all their particularities,
As I have believed and often said,
That God is known most powerfully and personally.
If this is true, it means that to lose track of our stories
Is to be profoundly impoverished
Not only humanly but also spiritually
I not only have my secrets, I am my secrets
And you are yours
Our secrets are human secrets

And our trusting each other enough
To share them with each other
Has much to do with the secret
Of what it means to be human.
~Frederick Buechner

All stories are true and some actually happened.
~Caryl Menkus Creswell

  My word for 2017 was story and yes it did have a profound
impact on me through remembering and hearing others stories.
About half way through the year another word came to me,
it was Kindness. It has stuck with me along with Story.
As I approach 2018 I find that I want to carry Kindness forward
into the new year, but add Courage to the mix.


My religion is kindness.
~Dalai Lama

Courage with Kindness is it, it will carry me through 2018.
To tell you the truth Courage scares me a bit, but
I know it is the word I need to embrace with Kindness.
The picture shows a roller coaster.
I find it is a good metaphor for Courage.
Sometimes there will be exhilarating ups
and sometimes terrifying downs.
Come along with me as I learn about Courage with Kindness.
 A pretty picture of two sharing a moment of beauty.
No other reason to post this picture, but that we need beauty
surrounding us.

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I really liked the "my story" verse, Marilyn. "Kindness" and "Courage" are both good words for the new year. Happy New Year, and may it be filled with peace and much joy. Your posts always leave me smiling and feeling good, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Buechner really has a way with words, doesn't he? Kindness combined with Courage is a powerful mixture for life. I look forward to reading your posts in 2018.

Rosemary said...

We really need kindness and courage in this world, coupled with beauty and honesty. It will be a fun journey with you to see where this leads! Here's to 2018 and a bright new year!

Jeanie said...

Courage with kindness is a powerful tool toward a better world. I applaud you for such a wonderful pair of words for 2018. I wish all would consider that combination!

Adrienne said...

Love your new words for the coming year. I am embracing my dear, little mother's life word of JOY again. I believe there will be much joy in new things discovered, new places to see and new experiences as well as new people to meet. I'm looking forward to hearing about the ways your kindness is shown and the places where courage takes you to new heights. There are new things ahead, my friend.
~Adrienne~

Tracy said...

You shared a LOT of STORY here this past year, Marilyn... It has been so special each with to share in your life, your stories, your experiences. And anyone who visits here--or knows you beyond these pages--has experienced your great KINDNESS. :) KINDNESS and COURAGE are big supports for a new year! Wishing a wonderful year of discovering both! ((HUGS))