Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I am a Photographer, A Bit Long



Last night I dreamt that I was starting college
and settling into my dorm room.
It was similar to what I did experience
at a small "Christian" college.
As I was settling in my roommate wanted me to
meet some guy from her church.
He came into the room and said he and my roommate
had been praying for me.
He wanted to know what I was going to study,
was it secretarial, a teacher, or to be a minister's wife?
My answer was "I am a photographer 
pursuing all things creative.
This didn't fit into his image of what a woman
should be and he turned and left.

The night before this dream I began reading
a book by Sue Monk Kidd, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter.
A quote from that book, "Stories give us hope, a little guidance,
and a lot of bravery."
My word for this year is "Story"
and this is part of my story.
The dream was very true to what I was as a young woman,
but I wasn't brave enough to say
"I am a photographer pursuing all things creative."

It has taken me a long time to be able to say that statement
and it came out in my dream.
Life is continually growing and learning
and for that I am thankful.
I am sure as I travel through this book there will be more growing
and more stories to share.

What do you still hunger for?
How do you continue to grow?

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Your pictures tell me you are a Photographer, Marilyn. Photographers are creative with their pictures, and I think you show creativity in yours. Is that what you wanted to do in college? I took a black and white photography class at the college one year, and it was a thrill to see the pictures being developed in the dark room right before my eyes. I knew right away this was my passion.

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

I wanted to answer your question.....no, I didn't make the macarons. I bought them at Trader Joe's. They are sooooo good. I haven't tried to make any yet, but I love to bake, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime. : )

Rosemary said...

Your creativity is quite evident in the photographs that you capture - from simple daily life to clever still life shots - your eye for beauty is a delight for us. Love your story, and love that you share your discoveries with us!

Jeanie said...

I love that you have stated that you are a photographer. To me there was never any doubt. But I struggle with saying I am an artist or photographer. It's easy to say I am a writer -- I was paid for it for 32 years, so I must be. Kudos to you and thanks for telling us about your dream and story.

Lorrie said...

Yes, stand up and say who you are, in dreams and in real life. I think I am becoming more confident about who I am as I get older, and think less about what others might think.
Your photos do show your photographic talents.

Angela McRae said...

I read that book several years ago! Sue Monk Kidd was speaking here in town, and since I'd been reading her work since I was a young believer (back when she wrote for Guideposts and had very different views) I was eager to see what she had to say. It was a great evening! And I find your dream about starting college very interesting ... wonder what that means? (If I ever dream about college, it's always that I failed a trigonometry test!)