Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Bloedel Reserve, A Place of Peace and Reflection

 This post is photo heavy.
I hope it puts you in the mood for the beauty of Autumn.
The last day of my "live-in gardener" and my visit to his sister
we ventured out to Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island, Washington.
We had heard of this beautiful place for many years and finally
took the time to visit.
The first photo is the gatehouse and gift shop.
Now walk along with me and see the beauty of pumpkins and Autumn.

















" Virginia and Prentice Bloedel purchased this property in 1951 and owned it
for more than 30 years.   A naturalist at heart, he is responsible for starting several conservation efforts that are common practice today including the decision to use
Hog Fuel (a mulch-like by-product from logs) to help generate the sawmill's power and to work hand-in-hand with pulp mills to get the most out of each log.  Perhaps the
longest reaching "green" idea of Mr. Bloedel's was this introduction of the
reforestation of clear-cut land."
Above is their home which holds art exhibits in the dining room.
I will share a bit more of the inside another day.
 For now just enjoy Autumn as I walked
through the 150 acres grounds.


 The view behind the house.
 Isn't this tree amazing?



 Part of the Japanese gardens.

If I lived near here I would visit each season.
It is a place of peace and reflection.
They offer classes from time to time on just those things.
I highly recommend a visit here,
but if you are far away find a garden or outdoor venue to visit
for a time of peace and reflection.

7 comments:

Antiques And Teacups said...

A wonderful reminder...we haven't been in years! Drive by fairly often...twice in the last month...on our way to catch the Bainbridge ferry into Seattle. Must plan a stop again. Lovely photos of a favorite place!
Ruth

Rosemary said...

Such a beautiful destination... and it exudes fall beauty!

Angela McRae said...

What a beautiful place! Color is slowly coming to the leaves here in Georgia, so I am happy to have your photos ease me into the feeling of fall!

Jeanie said...

You can do a photo heavy post anytime, from my point of view -- especially when the photos are as lovely as these. What a wonderful place -- yes I can see why you would want to return often should you live so close.

It sounds like just the perfect cap to the visit. If I ever get out west this would be something I'd put on my list! Thanks, Marilyn.

Summer said...

Such a beautiful place. Love the pumpkins ♥

Lorrie said...

How much fun to see the pumpkins along your walk. The first one, with the pumpkin by the lakeshore, is especially lovely. Autumn is such a wonderful time for walking. Thanks for taking us along!

Joy said...

Beautiful photos of a lovely place. And so many pumpkins! I love the ones at the water's edge. What a wonderful place to spend a day.