Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Steeped - Delightful!

Recently an invitation popped up in my inbox from Tiffany,
the Events Coordinator, at Steven Smith Teamaker.
I was thrilled to be included in the kick off for a new book,
Steeped, Recipes Infused with Tea, by Annelies Zijderveld.
It has just been on the market about a week and a half
and you can find it at Amazon.com
Gathering in the kitchen we were greeted by the book author
and 6 cups of tea for tasting.  Each tea would be included in recipes
from the book, but first we did some tasting: Long Jing, Rooibos, Keemun,
Lord Bergamot, Masala Chai, and Matcha.  Always delicious TEA.
Samples of each were sent home with us, so we could begin our adventure
in cooking with tea.
 What fun to have a front row to Annelies demonstrations
on several recipes from the book.
 Many of her recipes have the tea ground in a herb grinder,
which is actually a coffee grinder that has not been used for coffee.
Here she is showing Geoff, another tea blogger, the results
of grinding tea.  Geoff also has a post, which you can find
Annelies made Hurricane Popcorn with Tea Furikake,
which used a coarsely ground Dragon Well tea with sesame seeds,
kosher salt, sugar, popcorn, and a nice oil.  It was quite delicious.
A yogurt parfait was the perfect treat to greet us.
The yogurt was infused with Lord Bergamot tea,
which just bumped this yogurt treat up several notches of delight.
A White Bean Walnut Spread was like a special
hummus treat.  I think this was my favorite treat of the day.
The Keemun smokiness just added something special.
To end the afternoon event of chatting, nibbling, snapping photos,
and visiting with other bloggers, staff at the tea shop, and especially Annelies
were an extra special day surrounded with tea.

Batch PDX also brought by tea infused chocolates just to end the day with sweetness.
Definitely, I can recommend this book.  Any tea lover would love adding it to their library.

14 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

An amazing experience! Thanks for the review. I just ordered the book!

Geoff said...

Wonderful coverage of a wonderful event. Great seeing you there!

Bernideen said...

This was very interesting. I also noted the red transferware teapot in your header. Is that British Castles?

Lu Ann said...

I just got my copy of the cookbook last week and am already a huge fan. So fun that you got to experience this!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

I love going to cooking demonstrations. I've never been to one centered around tea. Thanks for sharing about the event and book.

Linda P said...

Fascinating as I've never heard of grinding tea before. The demonstration must have been very interesting.

Margie said...

How fun! The tea-infused food all look yummy!

martea said...

I really enjoyed your sharing of this event, Marilyn. Some great ideas! Thanks.

Lorrie said...

What a delightful experience. And something new to think about - using tea as a flavoring. Sounds like a great little book.

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, this is SO cool! I can't think of a lot of things I'd enjoy more than to see the demos, taste the food and enjoy the tea with a group of like-minded people. I'll be curious to see if you try the recipes and how they work!

Lady Linda said...

What fun! SO perfect for you.

Angela McRae said...

What a fun event, and it definitely sounds like this book needs to go on my wish list. All these recipes sound tasty and fun!

Rosemary said...

What an extra special event - your photos captured the essence of the gathering!

Adrienne said...

What a wonderful experience. Do you know where can we buy the teas in our area? My local shop doesn't carry them anymore. That makes me sad! I'm sure I would love the yogurt treat.
~Adrienne~