Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Warmed by the Sun

The earth is warmed by the sun
Everything is growing and ripening at once.
It is berry season in my part of the world.
Blueberries have been picked and put in the freezer for winter.
Raspberries have been made into a most delicious jam.
Marionberries have been picked just yesterday,
they are calling my name right now to come and make jam,
plus a pie or two for the freezer.
Ahhhh, strawberries have been eaten and delicious.
I love berry season, but why does it all come at once?
Oh that sun is doing it's job for sure,
for it is the season of berries and ripening in the garden.

Corey from Tongue in Cheek shared this yogurt cake recipe quite awhile ago.
I just love it with all the fresh berries.
Here is the link for finding the recipe.
Since I buy large yogurt containers, I used the 3/4 cup for my measurement.
It took about 30 minutes to bake.
http://willows95988.typepad.com/tongue_cheek/2010/01/one-french-secret-about-baking.html

I hope you are enjoying the outdoors with the fresh produce growing around you.  What are you enjoying?
Top photo is the blueberry patch where I recently picked.

6 comments:

Ms Misantropia said...

Oh my, your orchard looks divine - as sound the plentiful gifts it is providing you with :)

Lorrie said...

It's an embarrassment of riches these days in the produce department. We're picking blueberries and raspberries these days. Made raspberry jam yesterday - glowing little jars of summer to open in winter. I love yogurt cake!

Mary said...

Funnily, I'm enjoying Bing cherries from your neighbors in Washington's Yakima Valley right now!

I love fresh berries and stone fruits at this time of year - and I recall your scrumptious berry pie we shared this time last year!

Girls arrived in Calif. this afternoon and are out on wave runners this evening as the lake is flat and temps. perfect. We were up at 4 am to get them to the airport - so tired I'm off to bed for an early night.

Love and hugs - Mary

Relyn Lawson said...

We planted a garden this year and are SO IMPATIENT for our tomatoes. But, this the coolest summer in decades. UGH! Still very few tomatoes. Sad.

Jeanie said...

I cannot tell you how good this looks. Pretty, too. Just might have to cave and make a dessert!

Angela McRae said...

I am currently enjoying lots of goodies from my dad's overflowing garden: squash, green beans, okra, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers and now blueberries. May try to make some mini-blueberry pies! (But I'm with you: WHY does it all have to arrive at once!)