Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cooking with Friends

 
Sometimes we do something out of the ordinary just for the fun of learning something new.
When I found a tea friend was teaching a class on Japanese Summer Sweets I jumped for it.
We cooked things I had never heard of with ingredients not in my vocabulary.
The one that particularly fascinated me was Koi in a Pond.
Have you seen a sweet like this?
The pond was made from a clear gelatin ingredient made from seaweed,
quite appropriate for those little fish to swim in.
My imagination went to all other possibilities for these little pond creatures.
Wouldn't fresh fruit look pretty sitting in the pond?
Or maybe a bouquet of edible flowers?
It is good to play and let our imagination go wild.
I just love playing with friends.

Have you done anything with a friend lately that was beyond your comfort zone
or beyond your imagination? 

8 comments:

Angela McRae said...

What a cute idea! I recently took photos of two gardens with koi ponds, and wouldn't the owners love to see a treat like this!

Steph said...

Wish I could have been there! Looks fabulous.

Rosemary said...

This looks like such an interesting class! Fun!

relevanttealeaf said...

How fun! I can't say I've done anything with a friend lately that was beyond my comfort zone or imagination, but we go to teas frequently which bring great pleasure.

Jeanie said...

I love it! Looks like great fun -- Japanese sweets are so different from ours.

And in answer to your question, visit the Marmelade Gypsy and see what I cooked up with a friend this weekend!

Laurie said...

I haven't done anything, but you make me realize there is so much more out there to be experienced, I need to jump in Marilyn!

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I've never seen these. How pretty and inspiring! And I love your ideas for adding fruit and flowers.

Most of my biggest creative challenges these days are out in the garden. My husband and I just created a large shade garden/privacy border that has been very challenging, and has made me move way beyond my usual go-to cottage perennial garden. I love working on it, and I love seeing my husband, who is also my best friend, turning into a fantastic gardener!

Annie Jeffries said...

These are completely new to me. They are almost too pretty to eat.