Thursday, March 29, 2012

Matcha, the Color of Green

 
When thinking of tea and green most often I think of a regular green tea.
There is, however, a tea that the color green just shines.
It is Matcha, in the green family.
Have you heard of it?
Most often it is associated with the Japanese Tea Ceremony.
It is a fine powder high in antioxidants and is whisked before serving.
Stephanie at Steph's Cup of Tea had a very good display recently of the
accoutrements of matcha tea, which can be seen here.
For chefs that like to cook with tea, matcha is a favored ingredient.
There is matcha ice cream, matcha chocolates, matcha specialty drinks, matcha
shortbread cookies, matcha pasta, and just about any other imaginable combination.
Recently I heard of a matcha marinade for soba noodle salad.
It sounds so good, I really must try it soon.
It is a mixture of matcha, sesame oil, sesame seeds, scallions,
then toss in some snow peas, pea shoots, or asparagus.
Doesn't that sound yummy?

A good source for purchasing matcha is teatreasures.com
This morning they posted a youtube showing a different
way of preparing matcha, which I thought you would enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrL_YkWbbs

7 comments:

Zinnia said...

Exciting to read about the countryside. It was new to me. Beautiful teapot. I wish you a nice weekend! Zinnia

La Tea Dah said...

Oh yes, it does sound yummy! I love veggies and the addition of macha makes it sound even better! I especially love your photo. It's lovely --- and the lace runner --- is the same as the one I use for my mantle. :D

relevanttealeaf said...

What a beautiful and serene tea photo, Marilyn! I haven't cooked with Matcha - yet!

Tracy said...

Ooo... matcha marinade for soba noodles!! Pass me a plate, please, Marilyn! That sounds ever so good...mmm... I love how versatile tea is--not just for drinking, but used in cooking too. I love finding out new creative ways to use tea. Ironically I have a cup of gunpowder green tea with me now! LOVELY tea-portrait/vignette photo today too... Happy Weekend, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Annie Jeffries said...

Your simple picture is so inviting.

Angela McRae said...

Mmm ... a matcha marinade does sound good!

Jeanie said...

I have heard of Macha. Never tried it. Mostly, I am just coveting your green teapot! Beautiful!