Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lavender Days

Saturday we were off to the lavender fields of Sequim, Washington.
I met the owner of Port Williams Lavender Farm a few weeks ago
and thought it would be fun to stop by his farm.
It was a beautiful day full of the scent of lavender.
There were all different shades in the field.
Dark lavender
Lighter colored lavender

Fiona, the fairy, traveled along to visit the lavender.
She found the sign for Provence and had hoped that if she blinked
her eyes she would be transported to the lavender fields
in Provence.
****
For me it was a research trip to find lavender honey for my website.
Michael, the farmer, also had explained to me how to infuse
lavender to use in jelly. He suggested steeping it like tea, then just adding the tea into whatever jelly or other food preparation. He felt putting the actual blossom heads into
food was not pleasant for eating and that a tea was easier to control the flavor.
A new jelly recipe is brewing in my head and soon I will need to take
the recipe and see if it is as good as I imagine.

6 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

This is so lovely Marilyn. Your much more mild weather extends your lavender season. Ours has been gone for a few weeks. Alas.

Angela McRae said...

If you will make lavender jelly I'll be your first customer! ;)

Duchess of Tea said...

I just love lavender, they smell heavenly. I make lavender tea and jelly almost as he suggesed, with a little different twist. One of my future posts is about lavender sugar and lavender tea.
Thanks for sharing darling
Duchess xx

Deanna said...

outstanding!
D

Relyn Lawson said...

Your images make me able to smell it. Next time I'm home, I'd love to get together with you. For tea, for chat, for a stroll through a garden. Want to?

La Tea Dah said...

Or. . .you could infuse the sugar with lavender and use it to make jelly. I wonder which would be more flavorful. . .lavender tea or sugar? Interesting and fun to figure out.

I love seeing that lavender farm again. When I was there, geese kept flying overhead --- it was serene, quiet, and beautiful.