Thursday, September 4, 2008

Blessed



I am so thankful to be blessed with good health for me and my family, for a comfortable home, beautiful surroundings, good friends, and the bounty of the season. September is a time of still feeling the sunshine on us, but the hush of fall in the evening air. The garden is producing at it's full production and the zucchini is in abundance. A dear elderly lady friend, that passed away a year ago about this time, shared the following recipe with me shortly before she passed away. She brought me a beautiful vintage canning jar filled with Zucchini Relish. It was so good and I wanted to share here as a possible use for excess zucchini.

Zucchini Relish from Kathryn Montgomery

Grind and let stand overnight the following:

10 cups zucchini, don't peel

4 cups chopped onions

5 Tablespoons salt

Drain in the morning and rinse well.

Then add:

5 cups sugar

1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, dry mustard, tumeric, cornstarch

2 Tablespoons celery seed

2 1/4 cups vinegar

2 red bell pepper - chopped fine

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 green peppers, chopped fine

Cook for 30 minutes

Put in jars and seal tightly.

Enjoy!

No comments: